Crident Community
  • We want you!

Login through Discord (or create an account) to post threads, replies and reactions!

nubusosiwu#7536

Abnormal hard disk overflow

Question

Posted (edited)

The other day my project faced such a problem as a fully filled hard disk (64 GB). We wanted to solve the problem by cleaning the cache, unnecessary logs and addons. Unfortunately, it didn't help us much. Then we used this article: https://crident.com/portal/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/37/Clearing-disk-space.html
After the performed manipulations, when there was almost no content left on the server, the hard disk was filled with 26 GB of 64 GB. Why is so much space occupied even after cleaning the hard drive? After the server is launched, the content is loaded from the workshop, which occupies only 22.5 GB, and it is not clear where the rest of the memory goes. Are there any other ways to free up space?

Translated with deepl, my english is bad >;c

Edited by nubusosiwu

17 answers to this question

Did you delete all the content suggested in that guide? If you did, then the remaning ~20GB (Garry's Mod is 4GB itself) would be in your addons folder most likely

• Dope 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, drizzy.vip said:

Did you delete all the content suggested in that guide? If you did, then the remaning ~20GB (Garry's Mod is 4GB itself) would be in your addons folder most likely

garrysmod/addons: 54.7 Mb
garrysmod/bin: 63.5 Mb
garrysmod/cache: 234 Kb (21.5 Gb after download from Steam Workshop Collection)
garrysmod/data: 419 Mb
garrysmod/maps: 293 Mb
garrysmod/lua: 7 Mb
garrysmod/logs: 398 Mb

That's all :c

Edited by nubusosiwu

1 minute ago, nubusosiwu said:

garrysmod/addons: 54.7 Mb
garrysmod/bin: 63.5 Mb
garrysmod/cache: 234 Kb (21.5 Gb after download from Steam Workshop Collection)
garrysmod/data: 419 Mb
garrysmod/maps: 293 Mb
garrysmod/lua: 7 Mb
garrysmod/logs: 398 Mb

That's all :c

I think I misunderstood your original post. Sorry.

That looks normal. If you want to reduce that, you will need to remove some items from your workshop collection. It downloads all the items so the server can load them

You got my question right.

All workshop content cannot take up so much space on the hard drive, because 4 gb (gmod server) + 21.5 gb (workshop content) ~= 64 gb, as we have now.

5 minutes ago, nubusosiwu said:

You got my question right.

All workshop content cannot take up so much space on the hard drive, because 4 gb (gmod server) + 21.5 gb (workshop content) ~= 64 gb, as we have now.

There isn't much you can do to reduce this other than removing workshop addons from the collection. Your server should have plenty of space, anyway. If you're only using 26GB out of 64GB you have more than enough left & I wouldn't worry about it 🙂

2 minutes ago, nubusosiwu said:

Okay, last question?
Does an empty server must takes up ~18 Gb?

Normally an empty Garry's Mod server uses about 4GB when I last checked

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, drizzy.vip said:

Normally an empty Garry's Mod server uses about 4GB when I last checked

image.png.2cca0b4a4c650ff159aefd9c0220dc83.png
2.05 Gb + 21.5 Gb of workshop content / 64 Gb
What's wrong? I really don't understand...

Edited by nubusosiwu

2 minutes ago, nubusosiwu said:

image.png.2cca0b4a4c650ff159aefd9c0220dc83.png
2.05 Gb + 21.5 Gb of workshop content / 64 Gb
What's wrong? I really don't understand...

Sorry, it's a little hard for me to understand what you're asking, are you saying your server is using 64GB currently?

1 minute ago, nubusosiwu said:

image.png.fba2758647e134752c94e2bcb8b30415.png

This is your MAXIMUM allowed CPU & Disk usage. This is not the amount you're currently using on your server. It's your limits

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, drizzy.vip said:

This is your MAXIMUM allowed CPU & Disk usage. This is not the amount you're currently using on your server. It's your limits

I know, but I can't upload a new updates on the server because hard drive is full.
But I download my server and checked it. It's less then 26Gb.
I feels dumb really and don't understand where is other 38Gb.

Edited by nubusosiwu

Posted (edited)

Good day. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding. We use standard cache cleaning
https://crident.com/portal/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/37/Clearing-disk-space.html

At the moment when the disk overflow occurs. At the moment, when clearing the cache and space with addons and restarting the server, we get information that 29GB of 61GB remains on the server. We receive this data on condition that the cache and accompanying files have been completely removed from the space. Our question is that:  "We do not understand where on the server there are still 29 GB if we act according to your instructions". 

We ask any of your employees to check our disk for errors due to which the space we are not using is in fact used.

Edited by Jack Swan

50 minutes ago, drizzy.vip said:

There isn't much you can do to reduce this other than removing workshop addons from the collection. Your server should have plenty of space, anyway. If you're only using 26GB out of 64GB you have more than enough left & I wouldn't worry about it 🙂

We only use half of  drive space - 64GB, yes. But at the same time, when we delete everything that we use, there is 26 GB of occupied space on the server, which is NOT filled with us, we want to delete them, but we do not understand where these files are, they are not in our disk space! Thats is our problem.

57 minutes ago, Jack Swan said:

We only use half of  drive space - 64GB, yes. But at the same time, when we delete everything that we use, there is 26 GB of occupied space on the server, which is NOT filled with us, we want to delete them, but we do not understand where these files are, they are not in our disk space! Thats is our problem.

Hey could you contact me on discord, i feel it may make this easier. Rhyss.me#0759

On 6/17/2019 at 12:33 AM, Rhys Graham said:

Hey could you contact me on discord, i feel it may make this easier. Rhyss.me#0759

I wrote to you yesterday, however you do not answer. The problem is critical, we can not upload your add-ons to the server!