Crident Community
  • We want you!

Login through Discord (or create an account) to post threads, replies and reactions!

Sign in to follow this  
drizzy.vip

Dedicated Server IP's

Hey,

A huge cost in providing our service (esp. in America & w/ expansion) is buying the insane amount of IP space we need to give each customer a dedicated IP. It's no secret that the world is running out of IPv4, and right now we're basically buying gold with the current prices.

We can keep trying to offer dedicated IP's, which might limit growth, or we can drop dedicated IP's & have a lot more flexibility. We could possibly look into making dedicated IP's an optional extra, too.

I wanna know how much dedicated IP's matter to you guys before we do anything here. Also please say what game you're talking about, so I know if they matter for Gmod players vs MC players.

Thanks

Okay. I do not know whether or not Garry's Mod needs to have the default port or not to have it show up on the server directory in game so I cannot answer for that. 

Minecraft: I highly doubt EVERY single person needs a dedicated IP. For minecraft I would charge $1 or 2 for dedicated ip's. The only reason I say have minecraft purchase dedicated Ip's is because I dont think majority of people who own them change the ip to a domain ip or anything like that.

GMOD: Again I have no clue if it messes with the server directory or not so I cannot give a good answer. If it messes with it then I wouldn't change the dedicated Ip's for it. If it doesnt I would sell it for $1 or 2.

Honestly for Garry’s Mod dedicated IPs have not mattered much for me. Most my player income is through the server browser or history anyway so the minority of people connect with an IP, of which they’d just copy the ‘Connect ip’ command from my server info page etc anyway.

Minecraft is a different story. Every single one of your players connect using your IP, there is no server browser. It makes it easier on my players (and myself) to just know my domain. Also knowing my random port assignment is hard. Personally I’d always pick the optional 3 dollar “addon” dedicated IP, Crident having a “free” one was definitely a sales point for me. I don’t know a host that does that, and for minecraft it’s as important as the server specs your buying for a seasoned owner

30 minutes ago, SkyMulley said:

Minecraft is a different story. Every single one of your players connect using your IP, there is no server browser. It makes it easier on my players (and myself) to just know my domain

You can still do things like mc.mycommunity.com on Minecraft without a dedicated port. This can't be said for Garry's Mod.

31 minutes ago, Connor G said:

Okay. I do not know whether or not Garry's Mod needs to have the default port or not

It's something optional that most hosts don't provide, but I've always thought it was a premium mark of hosting

I don't see why charging extra for it would be such a bad thing. It's a premium feature for sure, and it isn't necessary for either game. It just makes a server look more professional if they're advertising the IP.

This should be obvious, but if we were to change anything it wouldn't impact existing services. We would never just change our customers IP's, we understand how important your IP is. This post is purely for expansion & growth planning