Crident Community
  • We want you!

Login through Discord (or create an account) to post threads, replies and reactions!

Lord Cosmic#0001

Trying to reduce ping

Question

This is probably a very common thing

we tend to have 35-40 players on the server at peak time
this is a starwars server (so lots of content unfortunatly 170 addons)
 a few scripts
about 100 jobs

the ping show on the scorbored is about 200 or more per player
I have managed to reduce this by reducing addons and other random stuff like scripts and jobs we dont actually need and gotten it to a point  where it is much better when not much is happening ingame

Am i looing at the right things to remove?
and
I would just like to ask, what could i do to improve this even further?

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong catagory
probably a stupid question anyway 😁

2 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Mal#6750 said:

Ping is raised based on the amount congestion and interference throughout the network, essentially a single user has to network data from his end to the server and the server back to everyone else which sounds complex but is very simple until you start throwing larger size content into those request, for example spawning 100 droids has to be networked to everyone on all their movements which causes congestion.

If your wanting to decrease ping then I advise you lower content count and limit your permanent prop's on your maps and entities/npc's that are placed. These are all networked between the server and the client. So don't setup everyone at once but set it up as you go. There is really no way to just lower ping on the spot unless your using a terrible congested server especially its on a shared server. 

It's worth noting that ping in the source engine scoreboard/net_graph isn't true ping. It includes compute time in the roundtrip, which basically means if your server is lagging it'll "increase" the ping. This also means if you're running a lower tickrate, your ping will appear higher, because the server is responding less frequently to players.

Generally, if you're using a tickrate of ~16 around 100-200 ping is quite normal if you have a lot of stuff going on with the server. But note, if everyone has around the same ping, things should still appear pretty smooth. If your servers hitting around ~100% CPU usage when you see ping spikes, it's likely the server is being overloaded, and that will cause the ping to appear like it's raising, while it "technically isn't". The packets are still getting from A to B at the same speed, the server is just taking longer to respond; because it's lagging.

Sometimes lowering your tickrate can help provide a more "stable" ping, even though generally lowering your tickrate will generally "increase" the ping.

Ping is raised based on the amount congestion and interference throughout the network, essentially a single user has to network data from his end to the server and the server back to everyone else which sounds complex but is very simple until you start throwing larger size content into those request, for example spawning 100 droids has to be networked to everyone on all their movements which causes congestion.

If your wanting to decrease ping then I advise you lower content count and limit your permanent prop's on your maps and entities/npc's that are placed. These are all networked between the server and the client. So don't setup everyone at once but set it up as you go. There is really no way to just lower ping on the spot unless your using a terrible congested server especially its on a shared server. 

• Like 1