Crident Community
  • We want you!

Login through Discord (or create an account) to post threads, replies and reactions!

Sign in to follow this  
drizzy.vip

AMD builds?

What's up GAMERS

We've been using i7 6700k & 7700k for a while now on our network. However, a lot of new hardware has come out over the last 2 years, and I wanna know what people are looking for in the future, or do you guys even care that much? Right now the new AMD cores are looking pretty interesting.

Really I'm just trying to work out how much you guys care about hardware, and if there are any specific specs people want us to look at. While hardware used to be a big selling point for hosts, I'm not sure people care like they used to

1 minute ago, Tango Yankee said:

i7 8700k's??

The i7 7700k has much better base clock speeds etc. which is better for game servers

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126686/intel-core-i7-8700-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97129/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

We can also get the i7 7700k's for much cheaper, so there's that. The only real advantage we could get out of the 8700k is running more game servers per dedi. But I don't know if people want that haha

2 minutes ago, drizzy.vip said:

The i7 7700k has much better base clock speeds etc. which is better for game servers

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126686/intel-core-i7-8700-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97129/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

We can also get the i7 7700k's for much cheaper, so there's that. The only real advantage we could get out of the 8700k is running more game servers per dedi. But I don't know if people want that haha

Fair Point ahaha. Just thought since they are newer they could be potentially better? But the new AMD Ryzen 7 3 Series look very promising.

31 minutes ago, Tango Yankee said:

Fair Point ahaha. Just thought since they are newer they could be potentially better? But the new AMD Ryzen 7 3 Series look very promising.

You're fine, I'm glad you bought it up, because it's a really common misconception (which even some hosting companies don't understand!)

For anyone interested in a more detailed explanation, because a lot of people get confused here:
Newer CPU's seem seem to be focusing more on higher core counts, with slower base speeds. For desktop computing more cores helps  a lot, especially when you're multitasking. Certain applications like video editing are often designed to take advantage of multiple cores, too.

Where most people get mislead is the "turbo" speed. For applications that aren't able to take advantage of multiple cores, the CPU can effectively focus on a single core and speed that up. What's really important is that the CPU can't do this on every core.

When it comes to running certain applications that normally can't take advantage of multiple cores (like game serves), it's better to look for CPU's with the fastest cores, not CPU's with the most cores. This is especially important for hosting companies, because they will be using all the cores, all the time, so the CPU isn't going to be able to turbo up to it's max boost on all cores

TLDR: Base clock speed matters more than core count for certain workloads (like game hosting)

• Thanks 1

That is some solid info, Thanks.

How do Xeon processors come into play then? Because it seems like they focus more on cores than core-clock speed based off the 10 seconds I looked for.

image.thumb.png.57a50dd86d2039be3d60c7cd59f7d8a9.png

17 minutes ago, Tango Yankee said:

That is some solid info, Thanks.

How do Xeon processors come into play then? Because it seems like they focus more on cores than core-clock speed based off the 10 seconds I looked for.

image.thumb.png.57a50dd86d2039be3d60c7cd59f7d8a9.png

Xeons are designed for traditional server workloads typically - like websites, and database software etc. These types of software often thrive off multiple cores, and they're designed specifically to work well with them. Obviously there are some exceptions, though!

These pictures do a better job at explaining the key advantages to the i7 range vs the Xeon range. I highlighted the point we're talking about right now 🙂 

image.png.de31a95528f54645e8ba7497baa137d0.png

image.png.16190087c83f7d0e9e9179faf5af810d.png